Visa Application Guidelines

EU Students

All students belonging to European Union or European Economic Area member state, as well as the Swiss Confederation have no legal formalities to complete before coming to Spain.

Non-EU Students

If you are a national of a country which is not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland you will need to have permission to come to Spain as a student.

Information on how to apply for a student visa to come to Spain to start your studies

If your application to GBSB Global Business School is successful and you confirm your study place by paying the requested tuition fees, we will send you the official acceptance documents. You will need to present these documents at Spanish Consulate of the country where you live in order to obtain a student visa.

The guidelines provided on this page are for informational purposes only. We strongly recommend that all non-EU students contact their local Spanish Embassy or Consulate to find out how to apply for a Spanish student visa as visa application requirements are different for every country.

You need to arrange your legal situation in Spain depending on the duration of your studies.

1. Period of studies up to three months:

Nationals of some non-EU countries are exempted from the obligation to obtain a visa for study periods of up to three months. A list of third countries whose nationals are exempted from holding a visa when crossing the EU borders is provided on the website of the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In case of having to prolong the stay, it is possible to request an extension for a maximum of three more months.

2. Period of studies up to six months:

There is a visa (type D) for studies that allows you to stay in Spain for a period of up to 180 days (Visado D Estudios hasta 180 días). This type of visa does not allow you to obtain the Residence Card for foreign students (TIE).

3. Period of studies longer that six months:

Those non-EU students who are going to study in Spain for a period of more than six months have to apply for a student visa (type D - Visado D Estudios, Investigación), which is valid for three months for entering Spain. Once you have arrived to Spain you have to obtain the Student Residence Card for Foreigners (TIE) in order to remain legally in Spain.

The TIE is a temporary permit that allows you to stay in the country for the period of your studies. The card is valid for a maximum of one academic year and can be renewed annually until you finish your studies.

The required documents 

Usually Spanish Embassy/Consulate requires the following documents to apply for a student visa but this list may vary depending on the country of residence and your personal circumstances.

  1. National Visa Application Form
  2. Original Passport
  3. Proof of admission to Spanish Academic Center as a full-time student
  4. Proof of financial means
  5. Proof of Medical/Accidental Insurance with international coverage
  6. Medical Statement (only if your stay is for more than 6 months)
  7. Non-refundable visa processing fee
  8. If period of study in Spain is longer than 6 months, then you must present Certificate (s) by Police authorities  as to absence of police record.

Student visas usually take more than 6 weeks to process. It is strongly recommended to apply as soon as possible as early as four months in advance to allow enough processing time.

We recommend that students apply to GBSB Global Business School early as the Embassy will require the enrolment documents before starting the visa procedures.


A recognized member of Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs

GBSB Global business school member of ACBSP

An official member & accredited by the European Council for Business Education

GBSB Global European Business Education

The only higher education institution in Spain accredited by Microsoft as a leader in digital education & selected as a showcase school.

GBSB Global Business School LEADER IN digital EDUCATION accredited by Microsoft

A recognized member of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business

GBSB Global member of AACSB Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business

Ranked as a Leader in Business Education by Newsweek Magazine

GBSB Global Business School LEADER IN business EDUCATION

Accredited as ATHE centre, an awarding organization in the UK

GBSB Global Accredited as ATHE

Fully accredited by ASIC, approved by Ofsted and an affiliate of ENQA

GBSB Global ASIC accredited

Official ACCA Partner and the only Computer Based Examination Centre in Spain

GBSB Global official ACCA partner

Partnered with the University of Vic, Central University of Catalonia, to offer a dual master’s degree in Barcelona

GBSB Global Business School in Barcelona with Central University of Catalonia

Recorded as one of the best Business Schools in Europe by MYBS (Mind Your Own Business School)

GBSB Global Business School BUSINESS SCHOOLS in Europe by MYBS

Our students are finalists of the prestigious International Business Ethics Case Competition in San Diego, California, USA

GBSB Global International Business Ethics Case Competition

Ranked No. 1 in Europe in the Guide to Sustainability Schools

GBSB Global Sustainability Schools


A Brief Peak at our Students’ Diversity

Over 150 new students from diverse cultural backgrounds joined our business school in Barcelona during the October 2017 Intake. Why did they decide to study in Barcelona?

Alumni, Ioannis Antonopoulos, Shares His Experience

Ioannis is a master’s degree in Fashion and Luxury Management alumni and works at Swarovski Professional. How did GBSB Global prepare him for the real world?

Moving to Barcelona

Want to change your life? Study in Spain? Move to Barcelona? Don’t wait! Embrace the opportunity!
Take a look at our business school through our students’ eyes.